Visit the ABM
Welcome! Please Note: The ABM’s collection of working 19th century bookbinding equipment is only accessible via docent-led tour (tours are offered at 10am, 11am, 1pm, 2pm, and 3pm). Visitors are also invited to view our latest exhibit (upcoming: Books and Mud: the drowned libraries of Florence), and browse our uniquely curated store, featuring books about books and bookbinding, as well as ABM apparel and merchandise.
American Bookbinders Museum
355 Clementina Street San Francisco, CA 94103
ABM is ADA compliant and the museum is accessible to wheelchair users. All museum entrances are accessible.
The museum is closed on the following holidays:
- Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- SFMTA Fifth & Mission Parking Garage 833 Mission St. (between Fifth and Fourth)
- SFMOMA Garage 147 Minna St. (between Third and New Montgomery)
- Hearst Parking Center 45 Third St. (between Mission and Market)
- Ace Parking 322 Tehama St. (between Howard and Folsom)
- AC Transit/Golden Gate Transit/SamTrans Transbay Terminal at First and Mission Streets
- Caltrain Fourth and Townsend St. station
- BART Montgomery or Powell St. station
- Muni Metro Mongtomery or Powell St. station serves J-Church, KT-Ingleside/Third St., L-Taraval, M-Oceanview and N-Judah lines
- Muni Bus Routes 8-Bayshore, 14-Mission, 27-Bryant, 30-Stockton, 45-Union/Stockton
Apprentice Tour for Kids
Our “Apprentice” tour for kids 5 – 15 looks at bookbinding through the lens of the work and lives of apprentices who learned the craft. The Apprentice tour is offered at 3pm, or by arrangement.
Team Building and Group Workshops
Looking for a great activity for a corporate or group outing? Participants can tour the ABM and make a journal with us. Please call for details.
Book Arts Tours for Girl Scouts
We offer a specially focused tour with activity that will satisfy requirements 1-4 for the Cadette Book Arts Badge. Please call for details.
Tuesday – Saturday
10am – 4pm
Also open until 8pm every Third Thursday.
Docent-led tours are conducted daily at 10am, 11 am, 1pm, 2pm, and 3pm.
General admission is $10. Seniors and youth: $8. ABM members are free. Buy tickets online.
Please call for group admission rates, Admission to the front exhibition and bookstore is always free.
Can’t wait to visit? Take a virtual tour of the museum below.